Photo Submission Guidelines
The Ski Journal photography showcases only the highest quality imagery. We feature skiing’s greatest contemporary feats, as well as classic, timeless images that define every era of skiing’s culture. We welcome images taken of top pros, but are equally interested in publishing incredible images of skiing’s unheralded and unknown.
We seek images that speak to the soulful eccentricities of skiing, shots rich in context and character and feeling. Creative shots that the other publications won’t run. We welcome experimentation.
How to Submit:
- We will review images via web gallery provided the gallery contains less than 100 images and the images in the gallery are not simultaneously submitted elsewhere. For all submissions containing more than 100 images please submit them via FTP (preferred) or disk.
- We only accept processed RAW files in a .DNG format only.
a. Do NOT send jpeg or tiff previews.
b. Do NOT send any low-res imagery.
- All digital submissions MUST have all meta data fully embedded. Including photographer name, contact info, athlete name and location. If your images do not have meta-data embedded we will not review them.
- We ONLY accept EXCLUSIVE submissions.
a. Do NOT send us anything that has been published previously in North American magazines.
b. Do NOT simultaneously submit same / similar imagery to us and other North American publications: We have a ZERO Tolerance policy for double submissions.
- Do NOT separate images by location and/or by athlete. All images should be in a single folder
SUBMISSIONS LACKING THE ABOVE WILL BE RETURNED.
While we still accept positive film (slides), as well as B/W prints and cross-processed media we require that you contact us prior to sending any original film or prints.
ALL PHYSICAL SUBMISSIONS (Film, Prints, etc.) MUST BE FULLY LABELED AND CAPTIONED.
All hardcopy submissions, including original slides, high-res CD’s, etc. should be sent via mail or shipping company to the respective addresses below.
The Ski Journal
PO Box 2806
Bellingham, WA 98227.
Via UPS or FEDEX:
The Ski Journal
3620 Irongate Rd. Suite 122
flip - at - theskijournal.com
The Ski Journal welcomes queries and/or completed manuscripts that showcase skiing's people, places, and culture. Before submitting a query we encourage writers to pick up a recent copy of The Ski Journal and read it carefully before deciding if your idea would be a good fit. Initial contact should be in the form of a query that includes the following:
1. A brief description of the story: the angle, subjects, and location.
2. Why our readers would be interested in your story.
3. Where it would fit in the book (what department).
4. Why you are qualified to write the story.
5. Reference to any photo resources for the story.
6. Any samples or references to previously published work.
Please direct all queries to submissions - at - theskijournal.com or mail to the addresses above.